December 06, 2006

 

All the years combine...

.
Lately it occurs to me (ironically as I watch an episode of "The Drug Years" on VH1) that 25 years ago this evening I attended my first Grateful Dead show. What a long, strange trip indeed.


The Dead in their early 1980s incarnation (wake up Phil!)


All the years combine - they melt into a dream
A broken angel sings from a guitar
In the end there's just a song - comes cryin' up the night
Through all the broken dreams and vanished years
Stella Blue
Stella Blue

When all the cards are down, there's nothing left to see
There's just the pavement left and broken dreams
In the end there's still that song - comes cryin' like the wind
Down every lonely street that's ever been
Stella Blue
Stella Blue

I've stayed in every blue-light cheap hotel
Can't win for trying
Dust off those rusty strings just one more time
Gonna make them shine
Shine

It all rolls into one and nothing comes for free
There's nothing you can hold for very long
And when you hear that song come crying like the wind
It seems like all this life was just a dream
Stella Blue
Stella Blue

(Who says rock n' roll ain't poetry?)
.

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
25 years???


Wow....you're OLD...... :-) :-)


Mine was only 22 years ago....I'm still in the full bloom of youth......
 
ha! Mine was only 15 years ago!
 
I've never been to a GD concert, but 25 years ago this month I was engaged to a nice guy in Chicago and looking forward to celebrating Christmas with his family ... and then I dumped him in January because he called every night and asked dumb things like what did I have for lunch. I really haven't changed much.
 
Jen- I knew he was robbing the cradle!

Paula - So what DID you have for lunch????? Damn I hate when people leave a story unfinished!! :-)
 
Joe - Hell, we were together for three years before she would go to one with me.

I'm guessing Paula was embarrassed because she skipped lunch. Now she eats cupcakes and gripes at women who lose weight. ;)
 
Wow....you're OLD...... :-) :-)

Yeah? My last Grateful Dead show was almost 25 years ago. The first? Octobedr 1977. Think of all those Heads that saw them as the Warlocks and are still kicking around. Now they're old!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?