December 08, 2006

 

Playin' those mind games



While I'm on he subject of anniversaries, today marks an inauspicious one, that of the murder of John Lennon. In today's HuffPo RJ Eskow reminded me of just why I miss my favorite ex-Beatle so much. Eskow, having lived in New York and having actually seen the Beatles, gives a full 26 reasons why he does - one for each year since Lennon was gunned down in yet another senseless assassination in modern America. Here are some I can relate to:

That screaming wail that opens "Mr. Moonlight"

The way his primal album anticipated punk music

Not being afraid to appear ridiculous in pursuit of a good cause

Always being willing to care too much, rather than too little

Embodying the very opposite of "ironic detachment," which has been the definition of what it means to be "hip" for far too long

Being publicly insecure ("I'm a good guitar player," he said in an interview. "I know I'm not technically that great, but Clapton says I'm good")

Writing simple sounding but deceptively complicated melodies

The fact that "Sexy Sadie" was originally called "Maharishi" (explains a lot, doesn't it?)

Using Asian scales in songs like "Oh My Love"

Writing a song about karma - and then having Phil Spector produce it

Having the greatest voice in rock and roll

That 3/4-size Rickenbacker (if anybody wants to buy me one, I'll send you my address)

That single-cutaway Les Paul Junior (see #18, above)

His dedication to honesty

Being prepared to go to Memphis and march with the laundry and restaurant workers who were out on strike (as he was reportedly about to do at the time of his death)

The last line in "Working Class Hero," which was something of a "Twilight Zone" ending: "If you want to be a hero, then just follow me" ...

Embracing each new passion without hesitation, even if it contradicted the one that preceded it. "The way to know God," said Van Gogh, "is to love many things." (sorry, John!)


Eskow caps off his post with a great anecdote about seeing Lennon at Max's Kansas City.

Thanks RJ, even though it wasn't enough for me.

(check out RJ Eskow's blog A Night Light)
.

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments:
Nice tribute, but I'm not sure I get the Maharishi/Sexy Sadie thing.

I mentioned elsewhere that the Cowboy Junkies have a great cover of "I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier" on their latest album.
 
Maharishi/Sexy Sadie thing - they "made a fool of everyone"

I def don't have enough CJ in my collection.
 
Here's a good place to shop without spending any money.


http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20%2Fmetadata%2Fcreator%3A%22Cowboy%20Junkies%22
 
Nice tribute. Lennon was great.
 
Nice one. Some of my favourites by the great man are 'Across the Universe', 'Mind Games', 'Cold Turkey' and 'Watching the Wheels'.
 
That's a great tribute to John! My reason would have to be that line from "Beautiful Boy": Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. Smiles!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?