January 25, 2007

 

Bear Down !

.
The 2007 Bears' Shufflin' Crew?

Congrats to Da Bears on their NFC title and first Super Bowl appearance in 21 seasons. Over the years I've drifted from any great desire to follow pro sports, but I grew up with the Chicago Bears, and their success this season has drawn me back. Yes, that makes me a fair-weather fan but hey, I've got a bit of a legacy to back up my admittedly shallow fandom. You see, my dad had a season ticket with the Bears since before he was married (1948). Yes, just one - heck, he was single and just wanted to go see his favorite football team.

Several times when he couldn't make a game (or when it was too butt-ass cold) he would pass on the ticket to one of his four sons, and after I came of age to get to Soldier Field on my own I sometimes attended. His seat, being a 30+ year legacy, was on the south 42-yard line about a third of the way up. In other words, perfect.

In my "Bears years" we suffered through the lean seasons between championships - 1963-1985. I was living in California when they won Super Bowl XX in January 1986, and boy did the phone lines between family members light up like there had been a new birth after that game.

So now Coach Lovie Smith has us back, and I say we're due. I actually appreciate being 7-point underdogs to the Indianapolis Colts - as my sister astutely noted, it's when the Bears are doubted that they do best. I think this is going to be an uncharacteristically close and exciting Super Bowl. Heck I'll take the Bears plus 7 (of course I hope I don't need the spread). Any takers?

A vintage poster from the days of "The Monsters of the Midway"

Bear down, Chicago Bears !
Make every play clear the way to victory

Bear down, Chicago Bears !
Put up a fight with a might so fearlessly

We'll never forget the way you thrilled the nation
With your 'T' formation

Bear down, Chicago Bears !
And let them know why you're wearing the crown

You're the pride and joy of all Illinois
Chicago Bears, Bear Down!


Here's something funny(?) that caught my eye. You just can't beat those Chicago fans:

Thanks, honey
Wife induces labor so husband can go to Bears game

PALOS HEIGHTS, Ill. (AP) -- Nine months pregnant and married to a fervent Bears fan with tickets to Sunday's NFC Championship game, Colleen Pavelka didn't want to risk going into labor during the game against the New Orleans Saints.

Due to give birth on Monday, Pavelka's doctor told her Friday she could induce labor early. She opted for the Friday delivery.

"I thought, how could [Mark] miss this one opportunity that he might never have again in his life?" said Pavelka, 28, from the southwestern Chicago suburb of Homer Glen.
.

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments:
I had my second baby induced cuz Jeff was working 50 miles away and I didn't want to be surprised and end up with my mother taking me to the hospital. I don't know why peeps make such a fuss--it's perfectly safe and female doctors have their babies induced all the time.
 
I'm way psyched for the Bowl, for the first time since you-know-when. I usually hate the Super Bowl because it's too damn long and I hate how everyone pretends the commercials are a show. And that half-time show, egad.

Now I'm thinking "Danm, why'd the Bears have to win and MAKE me watch this damn thing?"
 
OMG - no doctor would do that here. The Simpson's lives!
 
The only thing i know about the Chicago Bears is the Fridge guy from a few years back. Don't know if he was any good but he was one hell of a large guy!
 
Woo-hoo! I made the blog!
 
I heard about that induced-labor story on the radio here . . . I don't know why it was such a big deal. I mean, an historic occasion is an historic occasion, am I wrong?
 
The fridge was there to carry the ball, Lucy, and that's it. Once he built up some momentum, you had a big job in stopping him. He eventually had to leave the NFL because he couldn't keep his weight low enough for pro football, which kind of strikes me as weird, but whatever. I heard he became a minor sports celebrity in Europe after that.
 
Actually Joe, The Fridge was the Bear's 1st round draft pick in '85 as a defensive lineman, and he was pretty good at it. At 6'2" and 326 lbs. how could he not be? I am one of those who thinks it unfortunate that in SB XX they allowed Perry a 1-yd. TD run instead of letting Walter Payton, the greatest Bear's player of all time, earn a score in his only SB appearance.

David - glad to see Bogger comments are working for you now!
 
Oh come ON. I mean, it's not like it was the World Series.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?